Every day you are bombarded with television and radio ads, billboards, newspapers and online promotions all trying to sell you everything from cars to clothes, televisions to new appliances. But just because it’s on sale, is it really a bargain?
- Never impulse buy. Do your homework before shopping for any large purchase. Make sure you are getting the most for your money.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for a discount if you are paying with cash.
- If you belong to a warehouse shopping club make sure you can and will use everything you buy. The price doesn’t matter if you end up throwing the majority of that gigantic box of cereal away because it’s now stale.
- Don’t buy something just because of the price. If you don’t need it, no matter how good a deal it is, don’t buy it.
- If you are at the “just looking” stage, leave your money and credit cards at home so you won’t be tempted.
- Read the fine print. Make sure you understand things like contract dates and exactly what that warranty covers.
- When grocery shopping plan your weekly meals then make a list and stick to it. Also consider store and generic brands. Many times the quality is just as good as name brand products.
Do you already consider yourself a smart shopper? We’d love to read your tips for saving money in the comments section below.
Photo: Professional Woman Magazine