Prevent Debit Card Fraud
Debit card fraud can be a nightmare to deal with, but is preventable. While it’s great to have the convenience of being able to just swipe a card to pay for things it’s more important than ever to know how to keep your debit card and your money safe.
- Always check the machine before you swipe your card. These days criminals have devices that attach to the ATM machine and capture all your banking information contained on the magnetic strip.
- Make sure to cover the keypad while entering your PIN, even if there isn’t anyone around . A camera could be recording your personal information.
- Copy and keep somewhere easily accesible all the customer service phone numbers listed on the back of all your cards and keep them in a secure place in case the cards are stolen.
- Keep your contact information up to date with your credit union or bank. This way they can get in touch with you in case any suspicious charges do occur.
- Sign up for on-line banking and then check your account on a regular basis. This allows you to catch and stop fraudulent charges quickly.
- Don’t use machines that are dirty or in disrepair. They may be fake units set up just to steal your banking information.
- It’s rare but occasionally ATM cards do get stuck in the machine slot. If this happens to you, call the customer service number listed on the machine and don’t accept assistance from a nearby stranger. It could be a scam.